Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Currency Catalyst

From this:


(http://www.coinace.com/gold-denominations-rare-coins.aspx)

to this:

New $100 bill design - obverse
(http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/new-100-bill-design-with-extra-security-features/)


Quite a jump, huh?  Although the picture on top is one of the earliest coins we have found to date (Lydian, circa 600 B.C.), the Sumerians two thousand years earlier used coins as records for grain storage.  From there we went to bronze, later to gold, and finally, paper.  Now we have paper composites with holographic insignias designed to discourage even the most educated criminals. 

It seems all too easy to forget that money pretty much rules our lives.  We work our entire lives to get money, spend it, and save it.  For many people, their entire focus in life is not on family, charity, or good deeds…only money. 

If we want to stay warm, we need money.  If we want to eat, we need money.  Heck, we pretty much need money just to not go to jail.  I know a lot of times I take for granted what income Paige and I do generate, wasting it on frivolous things.  But having her be our main source of income for so long has taught me a valuable lesson.  I need to appreciate her hard work more, and value our time now.  Eventually I’ll find full time work, we’ll start a family, and my time alone will be limited.  I need to appreciate these moments now, where she stands by me steadfastly earning income while I take time to ponder my position in the working world. 

So if you’re reading, Paige Bianca Borda: I love you, and thanks for being awesome!

And I promise, someday the day will come where I’ll be working full time, you’ll be at home, and you can be happy telling me you slept in until 11. 

"Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations."
--Thomas Jefferson

3 comments:

  1. Just let me sleep til 11 on saturday and we'll call it good... For now :) love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post fooled me. It started as a lesson in economics, and then turned into a mushy love letter. EWWWWWWWWW. jk, jk. You guys are cool.

    ReplyDelete