Monday, September 27, 2010

Popular Popularity

Imagine a day where everybody gets their work done.  Where everyone reads about the latest research helping humanity.  Basically, imagine a utopia.  


This is what I envision a day would be like if our society wasn't so obsessed with celebrities.  I understand that, as humans, one of our primary characteristics is curiosity.  I accept this.  However, why do we need to know that Lindsey Lohan had a piece of toast for breakfast? (What her toast was topped with, though, is anyone's guess)  Why on Earth should I know what kind of car Paris Hilton drives?  And can anyone explain to me why, oh why, do I even know who Snookie is?  I think my life would be infinitely better if I had no knowledge of celebrity going-ons.  What about you?


Think about the shows: Keeping up with the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, The Bad Girls Club, Daisy/Flavor/Rock of Love 1/2/3/Bus.  Is this entertainment?  Is this what our society has come to?  While it's funny to make fun of these people, how much better would we be as a people if instead of watching these shows, we actually took the time to read.  Or build.  Or clean.  Or....anything.  When it comes down to it, I'm just not sure what these shows say about us as a people. 


My problem with all of this though, isn't just with the celebrities.  It's more with the paparazzi.  What a meaningless job to have.  How can you take pride in your work when all you do is get paid to stalk people?  They have been known to frequently cause accidents (even deaths, i.e. Lady Diana), invade people's privacy on a constant basis, and seem just plain annoying.  Is this something you can tell your kids about be proud?  I think not.


There is nothing wrong with wondering who is marrying who, or being curious about what projects are being developed.  But when I somehow know that Nadya Suleman, aka "Octomom", had a garage sale today, I think it's gone a little too far.  If you agree, I urge you to turn the channel the next time these types of shows come on.  Watch MSN...er...Fox...um...E!...uh...


Maybe you should just go rake some leaves.  It is fall, after all.


"What is fame?  The advantage of being known by people of whom you yourself know nothing, and for whom you care as little."
--Lord Byron

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mike,

    I completely agree! Why on Earth do I care what Paris Hilton drives? Or where she's gone out to last night?! I have no interest in these celebrities and I don't understand why people are so obsessed! I wish everyone would stop caring so much about them and one day they may just realise that they're just people.

    I'm proud to announce I don't know the shows you've mentioned apart from Jersey Shore and that's thanks to adverts for it on tv. I don't know why Kim Kardashian is famous, or who Snookie even is!

    Another thing that bothers me is the amount of luxury these celebrities experience thanks to the celebrity obsessed world (and money). I don't think it's right or fair, that's just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete